Thursday, January 3, 2008

Comic Review: Spiderman Family 6



Let us take a moment to talk about covers. Comic book covers are what grab the reader, and make someone who has not previously read the title pick it up. Unfortunately, the attention-grabbing and witty style of comic book covers has been replaced by "iconic" covers; Pinup images of the characters with absolutely no relevence or little relevence to the inside story. Furthermore they're not even that interesting, or standout. This week, however, there was something that did stand out.

What would I do if I only had one frog? Man, that question will plague me forever...

Anyway, I'd spend time telling you about the first story in the Spider-Man Family book, but there's really nothing that can't be deduced from the cover, such as a) Thor is turned into a frog, b) the story is hilarious, and c) Frog-Thor is SO CUTE.

The second story involves Spidy kitty-sitting for Ka-zar's sabertooth tiger, in a story that is also SO CUTE, and funny.

Then there's two totally awesome full-length reprinted stories, including the first Spider-man/Human Torch. Then the last story is a reprent of the Japanese manga version of Spider-man, Spider-man J, which is simple and silly, but i really cannot get enough of cute little manga-style Spidy. And lines like this:
"Spider-man J may think he won today... but he will soon learn the truth. Victory is nothing but an illusion..."
I love translations, also the fact that they kept rhyming "Spider-man J" every time they said it, for some odd reason.

All and all this book delivered exactly what it told me it would on the cover, which is awesomeness with Spidy and a frog, and then gave me a whole lot more. It's definately worth a look if you are a) a kid or b) feel like a kid.

This book isn't even going into my collection, I'm taking it over to my neighbor kid's house to give it to him, because everyone needs frog Thor in their lives. As for me, I'm going to do as the writer suggests and pick up the original Fror story in trade paper back.

That is what good covers sell.

No comments: